Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thing-O-Matic

Reading yesterday about the Thing-O-Matic, a doohickey that makes 3-D replicas of objects, a 3-D printer if you like. I first read about this in a novel by Cory Doctorow "The makers" during my cyberpunk phase last year, so I was well stoked to see that reality has cought up with fiction in only about 6 months. Mind you, I'll bet that Doctorow knew all about the Thing-O-Matic being in development, and used it (or something very like it) in his novels so that he would seem wonderfully prescient.
Now all I need is a transporter device, so that I can get to Italy instantly without paying any money or travelling for several days in a tin can to get there.
I'm writing this at the library. I never realized before how noisy the librarians are! Bang that trolley, slam those books down. Mind you, there is a numpty sitting beside me whose phone is vibrating and so is he. Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle. If we could wire him up to the national grid he'd power the city for days. Perhaps he's the source of all the after-shocks we have.
He stinks, too. Of sweat-rotten sneakers and old testoterone. Goodnight, sweet prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment