Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sinny and Trusannah

Is anyone else sick of Trinny and Susannah? Just looking at the Down Under makeover series - each episode is the same. T & S descend on some public place to pick out what they consider to be sartorial horrors. Once the victim is located they home in and make rude remarks  ("You look like a female Crocodile Dundee".) Because they are celebs they get away with this - anyone else would be told to naff off.  They coo sympathetically over the target, who will sometimes oblige with tears "Yes, I've let myself go since my ex dumped me/ had breast cancer/ lost my job". Hugs all round. Victim further obliges by baring her all for T & S and confessing that she hates her thighs, boobs, feet, eyelids, whatever.
  T & S then talk to each other about the victim  behind her back "Poor dear, she has no self esteem, blah blah. Let's change her life completely by tarting her up a bit".
   If only changing someone's life were so simple.
  And who are they to judge who has self-esteem issues or not? Is it not possible that I dress like a slob because my self-esteem is not rooted in how other people percieve me?  If they don't like what they see, is that my problem or theirs?
  I don't want to teeter on four inch heels - it's not good for my sciatica. I don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb, as some pathetic old cougar waiting for someone to pick her up. Perhaps I think I have better things to do with my time than spend hours on my appearance. I have heaps of self-esteem - it's about being who I am, not what I look like.
  And aren't T & S themselves looking just a bit haggard these days?
  Take that, you  bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment