Sunday, February 26, 2012

Acting

Been watching Downton Abbey tonight. Got to the part where Matthew returns from the war with a spinal injury that means that not only will he be paralysed, he won't be able to "be a proper husband" to his fiancee.  I wonder if actors get attached to the people they play. Do they feel annoyed or grieved when the scriptwriter decides to have something horrible happen to their character? Poor William has just died of lung failure, so I bet his actor was pissed off at being written out. That's the great thing about being a writer I guess, the God-like power to invent characters and have them suffer, die, love, give birth etc. Perhaps God is The Great Scriptwriter, just having a hell of a lot of fun playing about with us. I know this is not an original idea, Shakespeare had it way before me. Remember "Lost"? It was just like real life, a lot of dashing around the jungle for obscure reasons that turn out to be no reason at all, the whole thing was a load of rubbish - at the end they all "went into the light".What a swizz. If I'd paid money for that series, I'd want my money back. And left us with more questions than answers. I still don't know why the polar bear appeared. Why was it on the island? And what happened to all the other survivors of the plane crash that weren't Jack, Hurley, Kate, Sayeed, etc., the other nameless dudes on the beach who hung around out of focus in the background?  Was the series symbolic or metaphoric, or just an intriguing waste of time?
        And why am I still thinking about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment