Thursday, November 7, 2013

Toilet


 
Spent most of the day redecorating my toilet (or bathroom if you are American). It's a funny little room with a distinct 60s feel; the ceiling is coved like a caravan ceiling, I've never seen this in a house before. The room was an extension to the laundry during the sixties when someone decided they needed more room there. The laundry itself is a lean-to, so the toilet is a room made out of a corner of the kitchen, with the doorway in the laundry. Some fairly ordinary things were used to construct it, bits of offcut wood for the wall edgings, hardboard wall-linings (very 'sixties) and an old shed door for the toilet door, which I really like (perhaps it came from the original nineteen-thirty eight outdoor dunny which was probably where the vegetable garden is now, in a wash-house where there is still an old stand-pipe. I couldn't dig it out so disguised it with a terracotta strawberry pot).  The door is green and it's on the right in the top photo. Anyway, I've painted it this nice 'sixties retro pink. Pink toilets and bathrooms were quite the thing, I remember, along with dolls that hid the toilet paper under their skirts and the IGA calendar. I probably won't be going that far, but who knows?

 
 The wall with the lunatic art work is a bit of a mess, it was very hard to get the paint off. I'll coat it heaps, but could cover it with some orange wallpaper left over from the bathroom if it doesn't cover up enough. (Perhaps I should have left it as a feature but it's really not that interesting.) I even managed to get the copper window fittings off and cleaned them up. It's all come up quite nice.

2 comments:

  1. Toilets have caused me quite a lot of anxt (and a heap of expense) over the last few weeks. Having finally discovered a collapsed sewer to be the problem (and had it fixed) it is nice to see a positive post about them. One of our neighbours had that crinoline doll clutching a sign which said 'If you are in trouble, please don't shout, just lift me up and I'll help you out'. She also had flying ducks on the wall, and concrete gnomes. And no irony.

    ReplyDelete