Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fruit and veg


Today's harvest


First sweetcorn ever - just like bought ones! But fresher.


Today I turned this load of windfalls into...


...these jars of preserves (and two cups of pear nectar for drinking).
Most of the windfalls are badly bruised on one side where they hit the ground so there's 2 pears for one, quantity-wise. The leftovers make great compost. It's good to have some bottled fruit in case we have an electricity cut during the winter; I can live on cold fruit and don't have to worry about the fruit defrosting and spoiling.

Continuing the theme of austerity, I got my bike out today and had a ride around. I haven't ridden for a long time, and am surprisingly wobbly and unco-ordinated, out of practice, and my thighs ached quite early on. Will continue with this and attempt to get a bit fitter.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Your corn looks amazing. All of ours have some shrivellled kernels - partially cooked and dried out.
    I don't like pears, but love your industry. I hope to make tomato chutneys at the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The corn has been really good, all I've done is water them regularly. It still seems miraculous to me that these things come out of the earth in my own plot and can be eaten!

    ReplyDelete