Monday, August 4, 2014

Steampunk hat


Here's the hat that I made for Steampunk Runway. It came together quite nicely. I bought the feathers, had the ribbon and hair slide already and painted dried plant parts with gold, with an old pearl hatpin of Mum's. Made the light from brass curtain rings, wire and an old sewing machine bulb. This is the left side and the front.


 Back of hat





The sparkly hair-slide was one I found on a walk many years ago.





Quite chuffed at how it turned out, just all seemed to come together magically - perhaps Mum, Grandma and Auntie Etty helping from the afterlife? (Grandma and Auntie worked in the London ragtrade as a seamstress and a bead embroiderer respectively). Lots of Mum's old sewing notions stuff came in handy. I even had a compliment from a real steampunker, too. The rest of my costume wasn't as great, but no matter, I was so pleased with the hat.



4 comments: