Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Still spring, but not so pleasant


Today was what I'd call a typical spring day, more typical for us than the nice weather yesterday. A cold, cold wind, with intermittent showers and sun had me ducking and diving in and out of the garden. I did a bit though, still hacking through the twitch in the front border. Thomas enticed me out with little 'play with me' cries, he loves gardening, but once I was out there he went back inside, found a warm place and went to sleep!




Dahlia 'Veritable'


Dahlia 'Shoreward Peach'

In the afternoon I went to my favourite plant nursery and bought more dahlias (never have enough) and some gladioli called 'Waris', probably named after the Somalian model and campaigner against FGM.  I've decided that the front border will be shades of purple and white, the colours of the Suffragette Movement, so 'Waris" will be a welcome addition there. I'll have to trawl Google to see if there is a "Mrs Pankhurst" something-or-other. (We do have a nice white camellia called "Kate Sheppard" in NZ (though not in my garden), bred  for the 100th anniversary of the granting of voting rights to women in this country, and named after the woman who campaigned to get them for us). Disappointing when you think of the abysmal choices we can select in this election - and still mainly men! Fools and villains.


2 comments: