Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Early winter days


Thomas spends a lot more time inside now


The view from my table. Now I've moved it to the window, this is my breakfast/lunch outlook. The clothing has all but gone from the pear tree, but the maple flames away in the corner.


"Red Delicious" apples - I've had a bumper crop this year.

Reading a book called "The golden rules of blogging and when to break them" by Robin Houghton. Most of the 'rules' I'm already breaking, so the book has a very limited use for me. Most of the rules concern blogs that are set up for money-making (or 'monetizing' in today's jargon) and I'm not really interested in that, nor do I have a ton of product that I want to shift. The main reason I blog is to get stuff off my mind; I find that once I've written about something that I love, or am really annoyed about, I can go on to the next thing on my mental agenda. And boy, are there lots of things on my mental agenda. I've signed up for a webinar tomorrow morning, from a site called "Introvert spring", about how to keep from mulling over and over about stuff, stuff that keeps me awake at night. Often, it's not nasty stuff, just of the order of "how can they do this?" or "Why is he/she so dumb/arrogant/shallow..etc?" or  stuff about the universe, geology, art... and on and on. I hope there may be some useful suggestions on how to stop "mulling" and the associated anxiety that goes with it.
A conversation yesterday with a colleague is an example. I love her but she does tend to dwell on "what will happen if..." which reinforces my own anxiety. The current question is 'what will happen if...we all get made redundant?" She asked me what I thought about this possibility, and I'm afraid I answered rather rudely, that I didn't want to think about it at all. I suppose one should think about these things, and prepare for them, but you could also worry yourself to a frazzle about something that may never happen. I love the Dalai Lama's take on worry: when asked if he worried about things, he said no; he didn't need to worry about the things that he could change, and if he couldn't change them, he didn't need to worry about them either.  

2 comments:

  1. Love your view.
    My moggies go out, briefly, each morning. They return very quickly and settle down for the day. Moulting up a storm. We have had several minus four mornings so I don't blame them.
    How I would love to retain the Dalai Lama's take on this (and a few other things). He is right, I know he is right and yet worry I do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a very heartening article somewhere that said that we anxious ones are the reason the human race is still here. We're the ones that make sure the baby doesn't fall into the fire and that everyone has enough to eat.

      Delete