Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Diwali


This week I had the fun of creating a Diwali display for the library I work for. Here is Mona, our mannequin, in my sari, draped with the aid of several youTube tutorials. I've pinned the sari up in critical spots, unlike real sari-draping professionals who just tuck the sari in, but I think she looks nice. She looks better than I do, because I am somewhat stout and look more like a bolster in the sari than a graceful woman. The sari was bought in India, in a loft warehouse presided over by a rather greasy-looking dude with permed hair. There were hundreds of sarees there, all second hand but still beautiful. This one I particularly liked as it has a heavy, silky fall that drapes very nicely, unlike cotton or chiffon that tend to bunch a bit if you don't get them right.
Diwali is the Indian festival of lights, celebrating the victory of good over evil, light over darkness and knowledge over ignorance. There are several legends about the origin of the Diwali festival. Probably the best known is that it celebrates the return of Rama, Sita and Lakshman to their home city after a long period of exile. To welcome them, every house was lit with burning lamps, hence the close association of the festival with the symbol of the lighted lamp. 
Like many festivals around the world, Diwali is a time for cleaning and renewal, buying new clothing and redecorating and cleaning the house. I've been doing a lot of spring-cleaning too, dusting, polishing, turning out cupboards and drawers, and sending things to the Sallies and the numerous fairs we have at this time of year. I find it hard to throw things out; I was raised by a mother who had been through the Depression and the London Blitz, and she liked to keep things "just in case we need them sometime in the future". I understand this thinking all too well, and always worry that I will find a use for something just after I've got rid of it. I did once throw out a milk jug that Mum subsequently decided she needed; happily, we were able to buy it back from the church white elephant stall a few days later. I still have it, now it probably will stay with me forever!

1 comment:

  1. Your sari looks gorgeous. NOT a look I can carry off.
    My mother too took hoarding to extremes. I am better, but not good.

    ReplyDelete