Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Anachronisms

I"ve just stopped reading a book called The Outer Banks House because of the persistent anachronistic language. I can think of any examples to give you, but would racism have been a common term in 1865? Would people have been seen as bad for being racist or good? Would someone have been referred to as a benevolent nature goddess, in the sense of being a greenie? I don't know, but I just think it jars. It's as if Elizabeth Bennett were to say "Whatever" or Darcy talk about her "awesome" eyes.
I've got a pile of books, and go through them reading the first couple of chapters. If I don't get involved in the writing by then, I ditch the book, putting it on the "return unread" pile to go back to the library. Not just bad writing but gloomy subjects or utter silliness end up on the rejects pile. So many books, so little time and this is my way of dealing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment