Saturday, August 3, 2013

Sunday stuff

 
Went down to the market today, and bought these lovely freesias. My freesias probably will be rubbish this year, as our early snow froze the leaves into a black pulp. The glass they are in is my Dad's old beer glass; it's perfect for freesias because it lets the flowers splay out and you can see their form. The glass has a picture of a ship on it
 
 
Dad used to tell me that if I looked closely when he drank from it, I'd see the ship move on the tide of beer. I never really understood that he was joking; I could never see the ship move, at all, and wondered what he was talking about.

 
Also went to the garden centre and bought stuff I don't really need, but want. More dahlias (can never get enough of these) and some seed for Baby bear pumpkins. I had a plant of this last year, bought from the school fair, and the pumpkins were delicious, very sweet. Great for stuffing or roasting whole.



 
Thomas poked his nose in. He is in my bad books today, he slashed at my mouth when I picked him up, making my lip bleed. Vicious little shit.
 
Also bought cheese at the market from a lovely Italian lady (I practise my not-too-great Italian on her), shiitake mushrooms from a charming Japanese couple (never had shiitake before) and a chai from the local Hare Krishna people who have a stall there. Then came back home and gardened for the rest of the day, until a Nor-east drizzle sent me inside. I'm roasting veges for my dinner, then I'll watch Game of thrones (new addiction). And the whole house smells of daphne from the bunches I gathered today. Io sono contento, as Lucia would say."The days that make us happy make us wise."


2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a truly wonderful day. I adore freesias and daphne as well, though neither of ours are anywhere near flowering yet.
    I am fond of shiitake mushrooms and chai and pumpkin too. In fact your whole day sounds like bliss. (With the exception of Thomas who is closely allied to my Jazz.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Elephant's Child, good to hear from you. Hope things are getting better with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete