Wednesday, August 7, 2013

To complain or not to complain, that is the question?

 
Camellia and daphne - 'Nicky Crisp' on the left, 'Barbara Clark' on the right. The camellias all over the city are stunning this year, we've had no frost or rain to damage them.
 
I've started with a nice pic because I have a feeling that what I have to say may not be very nice. Today I went to the hairdresser's. Now, I hate getting my hair done. I know some women like it but I don't; I don't like people touching my head, never have, never will. For me it's a bit like going to the dentist, not quite as painful but just as awkward. A bit like having a smear-test, in fact. Anyway, it was time for a cut. Unfortunately my usual hairdresser is in hospital (he's 73, with a bad hip), so another person cut my hair. Damn. She hardly cut anything off, but styled it and asked me if I used 'product'. This should have been my cue to leave. When I said no, just a bit of mousse now and then, she said "Oh, we'll have to sort you out, then". She then tried to sell me 'product' worth $50. I hate, hate, hate this school of hairdressing. She was an older woman, too, and I thought she would actually cut my hair, but no; trim a centimetre off the ends, fwaffle the blow-drier over it, spray it, then charge $51 for 10 minutes 'work'. So now, do I go back and complain? And why, oh why did I say I liked it in the first place? (Trained to please from an early age is my only excuse). I'll probably take the true introvert's option and just never go there again; she'll probably hack at my hair a second time in revenge. If only I was Arya Stark; I'd call up my dyrehound and...Damn you, woman, you've ripped me off. I'll not forget it.
 It's like that quote from Monty Python's advert for  Llap-Goch (an ancient Welsh form of self-defence) - "I understand that if I am not totally satisfied I have been had".

2 comments:

  1. Snap. On several fronts. I too hate having my hair 'done'. And insist that any cut I have needs to be 'wash and wear'. No product, no blow-drying. I have finally found a hair dresser who is happy with that - and I cherish her.
    I also really, really don't like the probing questions so many of them ask. I took to playing 'the hairdresser game' and making up responses. Tricky, because I could never remember what I had said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I find it really stressful to try and make polite conversation when someone is touching my head. Not quite as bad as the dentist, who wants to converse with me when my mouth is full of silverware! ("'es, 'a 'eather's 'een 'ice 'ately").

    ReplyDelete