Friday, August 16, 2013

Young Montalbano

I've raved before about Andrea Camillieri's Ispettore Montalbano detective series, and now I've been watching the DVD Young Montalbano, a series based on yes, young Montalbano. The star is the incredibly sexy Michele Riondino, and the series was produced by RAI and  written by Andrea Camillieri, the suppostition being that the Ispettore is young and incredible sexy. Anyway, you don't want to hear the sexual fantasies of a middle-aged woman (or do you? Signore Riondino reminds me of the reasons why I know I am not gay). What I want to tell you is that our slang word for leave, scarper, comes from the Italian verb scarpere, to leave, which is also tied to the Italian word for shoes, le scarpe. And the word that the Americans often use for late, tardy, is the same word in Italian, tardi. Interessante, no? Ah, la lingua, e bellissima.
  And the series uses Ragusa, in Sicily, as the fictional Vigata. And I have been there! Che bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment