Friday, November 14, 2014

Today


Here's a picture of my conservatory, with the grapevine growing outside. I do like grapevines, they give a nice Mediterranean air of ancient civilisation and domesticity to a place. This is a cutting of an old one that was already growing here, what it's name is I don't know. It is a small white grape with a rosy blush, very nice for eating. I've never made wine with it, as I've never had enough fruit from it before, but I'm starting to think about wine-making with some of the fruit I have here in the garden. My dad made lots of fruit wines when I was a kid, and very nice they were too. Peach and apricot were especially effective, I remember. It will require some outlay in equipment though; I'll have to see what I can get for nothing or next to nothing. The weather has finally got a bit warmer, and I've been doing more gardening, cutting off a branch from my ornamental cherry that was sticking out over the footpath. I liked the way it made people bow and genuflect as they went past my house ("a goddess lives here"), but the thought of someone braining themselves on it was beginning to be a worry. Fortunately, it wasn't too difficult and makes the tree look more balanced.


Roses are blooming all over the garden now. These are Peace and Buff Beauty.


Gruss an Aachen

The only problem with roses is hay fever. I took a sniff at Gruss an Aachen about half an hour ago, and boy did my nose run! Dinner tonight was Improved Macaroni cheese - I put red peppers and herbs in it and blue cheese (yum) and a salad from the garden. I think I might bake a chocolate cake next, I feel a cake coming on!


4 comments:

  1. Love your roses - and your conservatory.
    We are drying off fast - and everything in the garden is suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have water restrictions there in summer? We don't usually, but some years we have been restricted to watering every second day or at night only. The problem with the last is that people leave their hoses on all night, therefore wiping out any water conservation efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi librarygirl, how are you? Miss your blog!

    ReplyDelete