Sunday, December 13, 2015

Crazy weather


Rose "Double Delight"


Nutty weather today. Two severe hailstorms one about 3 hours after the other, plus a tornado reported out in the countryside. I was at work when the first storm came in, it was so bad a large seagull came down to rest on the lawn outside because it couldn't fly in the hail. Never seen that before. About 15 minutes after I arrived home there was a second storm, not quite so bad hail-wise but lots of loud thunder and lightening. Some of the plants in the vegetable garden are shredded. The zucchini plants are particularly bad, and one of my Purple Calabash tomatoes has been stripped right down into a stalk! Very annoying - I have been coddling these as they are not very robust anyway - and many of my seedling basils have been broken off completely. Grrr! I'm glad I'm not a commercial grower and my livelihood depends on my crops. It's the start of the cherry season here now, which is brief enough anyway, without hail damage. There'll be a lot of farmers who will be looking at their fields and shaking their heads right now. And the bloody supermarkets will be using that as a reason to put their prices for fruit and veg. up. Grrrr!



1 comment:

  1. Sigh.
    How very, very frustrating. And of course the supermarkets will put their prices up. On the items they have already bought.

    ReplyDelete