Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Black spots





Every garden has its black spots, and this is one of mine. It's been deteriorating for some time now, a bed of violets that has been infiltrated by twitch grass. For some reason, I haven't been able to "see" this until the last few days, so stealthy has the takeover been, but today I got into it and removed most of the weeds and violets. It is only a small patch of garden, and I have to leave the overgrown part to the right, where the lambs' ears are, because the bees love the lambs' ears flowers and I'm loath to remove the plant when it's being utilised by them. The soil is quite hard and threaded through with violet roots and the fibrous roots of the fern on the right. I don't know what I'll put here; it is quite a difficult place as it gets no sun until the late afternoon, when it bakes. Perhaps a bush cucumber or coriander? It's right outside the kitchen door - perhaps parsley, although I have a lot of that growing all over the garden.
First strawberries today, with a few raspberries thrown in. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Twitch (couch) grass has invaded my bulb bed. A huge job ahead. Sigh.
    At the moment it is feeling as if too much of my garden has become a black spot. I suspect it is the heat and lack of rain talking to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be hard to keep up one's enthusiasm when it's boiling hot and the earth is hard. I seem to be watering constantly now; a month ago I was complaining about how cold t was!

      Delete