Friday, January 8, 2016

Rediscovering tea


One of my New Year's resolutions was to drink less coffee. As I've got older and my digestive processes more delicate, coffee has become less palatable to me, and now gives me cracking indigestion. Much of my coffee drinking is habit, the same way a smoker smokes; get to the end of a task, sit down and have a coffee, get tired or bored, have a coffee, stumble out of bed in the morning, have a coffee. Going on the premise that it is easier to replace a bad habit with a better one, rather than just going totally cold turkey, I've been rediscovering tea.


I've put the coffee-making equipment away, and have given more open shelf room to teas of various kinds. My standard teas are Lapsang Souchong, Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast (tastier than English Breakfast to my palate). Lapsang is very refreshing after a hot, tiring day in the garden; its smoky taste reminds me of billy tea. Earl Grey is for when I want to go posh, with little sandwiches and tea-cake and amusing company. Irish Breakfast is my breakfast tea of choice, tastier and more nuanced than English Breakfast , reminding me pleasantly of Mrs Doyle and Father Ted. ("Ah, go wan, Father, will ye have a cup of tea, there?")


And then of course, there are the herbal teas. Lemon and ginger is refreshing and warming, peppermint and spearmint for the digestion, lemon balm when there's no lemon available, or you could use lemongrass. (Iced lemongrass tea is wonderful on a very hot day. I had some once when I had a day stopover in Singapore and was exploring the old fort, in filthy humid weather that made me feel feverish.) And I have Indian tea spice mix, which can be brewed on its own or added to ordinary tea. The great thing about the herbal teas is that you can grow them very, very cheaply in the garden. I'm growing some spearmint cuttings in my Bramble teapot at the moment, and  I'm pretty sure they've rooted so I'll pot them up soon and give them away. Teapots and caddies are also nice to have on display. I think there's a name for people who collect tea paraphernalia, but I can't think of what it might be. 
Of course, the other appeal is that tea is much cheaper than coffee, and I have less sugar in it, which will hopefully result in better health and a slimmer waistline. I'll still have coffee but not at the rate of consumption that has been my wont in the past. Or I'll have it at work where the company pays for it!

2 comments:

  1. I had to give up coffee when my body decided it wasn't going to respond positively to it. Twenty plus years ago now. I am now a tea soak. Love Lapsang, agree with you about Irish Breakfast Tea, but really don't like Earl Grey. Too strongly perfumed for my taste. I am a chai addict too. There are some lovely ones about. Or Assam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try Assam - so many teas to try!

    ReplyDelete