Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Paradise at Okuti Garden Eco-stay

I've just spent a few days at a wonderful place, Okuti Garden Ecostay in Okuti Valley on Banks Peninsula.
I stayed in a house-truck named Bronwyn and she was very warm and welcoming, as were my hosts, Jane and Jim. At Okuti Garden you can also stay in a tipi or a yurt, surrounded by beautiful organic gardens and native bush filled with birds. Very peaceful, this place has a lovely feel of beneficence and charm. Just the thing for renewing and re-energizing after the quakes on Friday. Felt like I'd gone back into childhood, with the little house truck,  got my feet wet in a stream, talked to donkeys and dogs, and scanned the night sky on my way to the toilet. The toilet is novel too; a composting toilet that separates liquids and solids with the simple expedient of a small hole for wees and a big one for poos. This does mean one has to be more intentional with the process; as a woman, I tend to just sit down and let go!
   This is a lovely place, and I came away wishing I'd booked longer. Highly recommended.

Inside the house truck - cosy.
Poroporo grows over Bronwyn
Tipi in the organic garden

No comments:

Post a Comment