Monday, May 21, 2012

Miscellanea

I've just tried to post a video of the lovely Thomas, but it didn't seem to be working, took so long I eventually cancelled the post. Don't know if this is normal (I know that moving images take longer to post) or just some Blogger/Windows thing. I did find out some useful info. about the .THM file extension that you get with Canon cameras when you make a vid. This is metadata about the technical aspects of the video, and you can delete it from your files if you are sure you will never need it again. Would be useful if you are a professional or serious hobbyist photographer/videographer, but probably not at my present level.

Reading a biography of Lady Hester Stanhope, "Star of the morning" by Kirsten Ellis. Well-written and researched, a pity that Lady Hester was not a more likeable person. Remarkable, yes, likeable, no. With a self-confidence that bordered on lunacy, she became a sort of de-facto sheikh, propelled largely by her own massive ego and the utter bewilderment of the people of the Middle East when confronted by this strange female phenomenon. She was a man's woman who loved fast horses and hard weaponry, and had many lovers but few friends. I haven't finished the book yet, but I think she came to a bad end, perhaps not surprisingly.

It's been very cold here recently. The heat-pump has been fixed (all my fault of course) but I can't say that I like it much. It's good for quick warming when I come in at the end of the day, and in the morning, but it's goddamned blowy, which is what I was afraid of. It's warm but not cosy. I'm still using the old bar-heater once the room has warmed. I want a log-fire! So I wouldn't recommend a heat-pump; the only good thing is that it might help sell the house if I ever need to. I so, so resent that those buggers at ECAN(t) have condemned me to a lukewarm winter.

And also we've had a little swarm of aftershocks here over the last few days, one quite large at 4.9. Even scared the cats which is unusual - Thomas' tail did that hilarious self-inflating thing, can't help but laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment