Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day


Had trouble posting this picture. Mum always hated having her picture taken, so I guess the idea of being seen around the world on the Internet didn't appeal to her spirit! She also hated Mother's Day; she saw it as a brazen American attempt to cash in commercially on people's emotions, so we never celebrated it as a special day. This is the best photo I have of her, taken candidly (she'd rarely pose) on Christmas Day 2010 in my garden. The pale green cardigan, sunhat (bought at the Nelson market during a summer holiday) and book in her hand is so her. (The book is 'Major Pettigrew's last stand').

 Mum as a Girl Guide, c1932                       



Mum's 21st birthday portrait. I still have the beautiful diamante brooch, her present from her Mum and Dad.

 In the WRNS during the war, stationed at HMS Sea Serpent, Chichester. My favourite picture of her, she looks so young and relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment