Saturday, February 9, 2013

Holiday-itis

I've decided where to go for my holiday. I'm going up to Braemar Station at Lake Pukaki for a few days, with a day-trip to Mount Cook. I'll spend some time at Lake Tekapo too - I'd like to do the tour of the Mt John Observatory and go star-gazing. I'll have to get some warm clothes before I go; although it's summer it's still cold inland at nights, only being a few kilometres away from the tallest mountains in the Southern Alps.
 Still looking at the Mt Kailash treks. Somewhat scary when I realised that the altitude of one of the passes, Drolma La, is almost twice as high as the top of Mt. Cook! I don't know how I would cope with the altitude.

  Classic nightmare last night, you know, the one where your teeth all fall out. Except in this case mine were taken out by a school dental-nurse, who then had me fitted with dentures, but leaving one bloodied tooth hanging by a thread of sinew at the back of my mouth! Yuck. So, the trauma of childhood dental work resurfaces many years later. We called it 'the murder house', and they used to work through the class alphabetically. When they got to the person in front of you, you knew it was your turn next. The person whose 'turn' had finished would report gleefully to the teacher, "Please sir, ------ ------ has to go to the dentist". And you had no choice. The rest of the class would look at you, indifferently or relievedly if they had already been, and fearfully if they had not. Ah, the subtle tortures of being a child. And nitwits say that schooldays are the happiest days of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment