Friday, July 5, 2013

Why?

Time for a little rant. It's about something trivial, but I find that trivial things are often the most annoying.

Why do 'They' stick those little bits of plastic on each and every apple that you buy at the supermarket? What evil genius decided that it would be a good idea to individually brand every apple in the store? I suppose it was someone at the Apple Marketing Board or some such, but it must cost thousands to do this, and they just get thrown away. Is it done by hand, by underpaid persons, or automatically? I hope the latter, because sticking labels on apples would be the next most boring job to being a chicken-sexer. And the labels are so annoying; they always seem to end up in the compost, in spite of every care I take not to put them in the compostable rubbish. It's like those bread-bag tags. In defiance of all laws of physics, there they are in the compost, even though I know I throw them in the rubbish-to-be-collected bin. You'd think there would be such a thing as biodegradeable labels and bag tags by now, but not here, not yet. This is the great thing about buying organic from the markets; you get a brown paper bag if you get anything at all, which can be totally composted in a very short time. I'm a big fan of my local, https://www.facebook.com/pages/OpawaSt-Martins-Farmers-Market/147939998595296 but now I start work on Sundays at 10.00 so I usually don't go, unless its summertime and I feel really energetic.
  There, all done, rant over.
 

1 comment:

  1. Rant shared. And the rotten apple stickers materialise in my compost pile as well. Where they will never, every add anything of value to the soil.

    ReplyDelete