Friday, October 31, 2014

'Twas the night before NaNoWriMo...


                                              Babiana (baboon flower) from South Africa


....and all through the world, people are getting ready to write their novels, some wondering why they agreed to do it and some raring to go, brain fused with ideas and plots and characters and phrases. I'm experiencing cold feet, well, no, they're frozen really but, hopefully once I get into it I'll feel a bit keener. Still don't really know what I'll write; I have several starts but not idea of how to continue them. And it's probably best not to get to tied down with research if I choose to do a historical novel. A historical fantasy, perhaps, I've read a couple of these and they were very successful. Guy Gavriel Kay's two books in The Sarantine mosaic, a sort of fantasy Byzantium, and Lian Hearn's Nightingale floor series, a fantasy of medieval Japan are good examples of these. Mine will be a fantasy too, probably called "Lady Mary goes to New Zealand" as its working title, building upon my steampunk avatar that I created a few months ago, an adventuring botanist and explorer. Or perhaps something else entirely.
      So, at twelve o'clock tonight, peace will break out as we all start on our novels. There's an idea; make literature not war.

4 comments:

  1. Lots and lots of luck from here too. And I love your babiana - ours are always more pastel beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've just written 942 words this morning, it's amazing how attractive the housework seems when faced with writing a novel.

    ReplyDelete