Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A new year

Tonight's the night dreaded by introverts. Time to batten down the hatches and make sure I have earplugs at the ready. I can hear "Them" over the back fence warming up already. I still think the new year thing is weird and arbitrary; isn't every day the start of a new year? Having lived through 56 of them now, the only one that really stands out in my memory is one when I was lived in an old house in a seaside suburb, and got up at dawn to wander the beach and welcome in the new day. Blissfully quiet, the light flooding in across the sea, just me, the seagulls and a sleeping drunk bedded down in the sand. Perhaps I'll do this again tomorrow?
     Hope you all have a fruitful new year full of good things.

2 comments:

  1. My neighbours have been having 'practise' parties every night this week. I hope they are too exhausted to continue.
    And your perfect new year sounds absolutely blissful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Practise parties" - sounds awful. Hopefully it will be quiet tomorrow morning as they all sleep it off. Tempting to go round there tomorrow, early, with a pair of dustbin lids and stand outside clashing them together.

    ReplyDelete