Friday, January 16, 2015

Lime marmalade and other harvests


Got up early this morning to make lime marmalade before it bacame too hot. The limes come from a friend's tree; we were in her garden the other day and I pounced on them. They cost a fortune in the supermarket, but Maggie kindly gave them to me for free. So they've yielded 6 and a half pots of delicious marmalade. I made it with jam setting sugar, as my previous attempt at grapefruit marmalade availed me 8 pots of marmalade syrup; the stuff never set, and there's only so many things you can do with grapefruit syrup. My breakfast this morning was two slices of toast with freshly made marmalade - heaven! Lime is my favourite marmalade flavour (other than ginger) and every time you get a chunk of peel you get a real zap of intense lime flavour. So, thankyou Maggie - there is a large pot of marmalade coming your way.


The apricot harvest has been much better this year since I got a Moorpark tree to cross-fertilise my Trevatt. Moorpark is the better fruit for eating and looks better, but Trevatt has a great flavour for preserving (but you can eat them as well). This is the second picking, I've got three jars squirrelled away, and have eaten heaps. Of course they are a favourite with the birds, the ones at the top of the tree are now hollowed out.


Onions and part of the garlic harvest. Not a huge amount but much better than nothing.


Poppies drying for their seeds.


My spare bedroom has become a drying room for herbs. Oregano, thyme, purple sage, lemon verbena, lavender and rose petals. Smells nice!

1 comment:

  1. Yum on the lime marmalade front.
    I too have poppies drying, and hope to have a kazillion of them next year. Conservatively speaking.
    And your spare bedroom would smell delightful. What do you do with the lemon verbena? I have used it in bath water (when I still had a bath). And for tea.

    ReplyDelete