Thursday, January 22, 2015

Taylor's Mistake


Photo from Paragliding New Zealand's website.

Bit of a wasted day today. I decided to go out to a nearby beach called Taylor's Mistake, just to take some photos and have a walk. I haven't been there since before the earthquakes, and the road and the walkway have been intermittently closed since that time. The road is a winding one, up one side of a headland and down the other. It used to be one of my favourite places, so I have put off going there, as it was bound to be changed by our earth tremors; much of the cliff around the headland fell away into the sea.
   But my trip was not to be. I left too late in the day and caught the lunchtime traffic. There is only one road in and out and it was closed for about 15 minutes while houses on the cliff are demolished and carried away. (The road is bad; full of pot-holes, bumps, lifted-up bits and sunken-down bits). I got into Sumner, but had forgotten that it was school holidays and the traffic was everywhere. Long story short, I gave up and came home again, without getting there at all. I will have another attempt later in the year, not in school holidays, not when the road is partially closed and not at lunchtime.
   Here is a link to Christchurch City Libraries' information on Taylor's Mistake, quite interesting:

http://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/taylors-mistake/


2 comments:

  1. What a frustrating day.
    Thank you for the link - it was indeed fascinating. A piano in a cave? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm not sure if it would be a good acoustic - a bit echoey and loud. Imagine playing Beethoven during a storm.

    ReplyDelete