Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Flowers and a feijoa


I brought lots of flowers inside today. Here are single and double violets for the bedroom. The singles are like a weed in the garden; on fine sunny days the whole back garden smells of them.


The laundry doubles as a flower room. I keep my flower vases on shelves above the handtowel


The first real spring bouquet - jonquils, "Earlicheer" narcissus, miniature daffodils and snowflakes


Delicious daphne and 'Alpenglo' camellia


Freckly hellebore


Assorted hellebores having a long soak


Other deeds today include planting a feijoa given to me by a friend. It had been growing by a hedge at her house and surplus to requirements, so I gladly welcomed it to a spot under my apricot tree. It was in a grow bag, but I had to remove that to get the feijoa to fit in the hole - there was a large apricot root there that I didn't want to cut, and the now de-bagged feijoa will grow around the root.



Fills the space quite nicely. This is a self-fruitful variety called 'Unique'. There's a rhubarb plant (dormant) in front of it but I don't think they'll bother each other.


Sitting under the apricot tree behind the feijoa, I had a different perspective on the garden


Yay! Broccoli.

2 comments:

  1. Loving your garden.
    Somehow I have never come across double violets. Will have to track them down. Love your freckly hellebore - and mourn the daphne which went to god here and has not yet been replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten the whereabouts of the freckly hellebore, so it was a surprise when I found it. The double violets were given to me by the same friend who gave me the feijoa - the 'freemasonry of gardeners" as Vita Sackville-West said.

      Delete