Friday, October 8, 2010

Spring fairs

This is one of the best times of the year for me. We have a plethora of spring fairs - churches, schools, scouts, bowls clubs, etc - all make a large portion of their fund raising with fairs and giant garage sales. My favourite is the local church fair. The church is only a little way away from me, so I usually go back and forth several times carrying my treasures. Lots of useful stuff that other people think is junk, often thrown out just because thay can't be bothered cleaning things. I bought some lovely cut-glass port glasses, overlooked by everyone else because they were dusty. (Unfortunately, the earthquake got two of these). Most of the ornaments and pictures in my house come from fairs. My best score was a seventies macrame lightshade in beige, it was just the thing for my pale green bedroom. I also bought another lightshade, a sort of tiffany style made of shells, from Redcliffs School fair. It was hiding under a trestle. When I hung it up in my hallway it looked as if it had always been there. I could go on and on about my second-hand treasures, I should make a list sometime. I've just been to the Friends of the Botanic Gardens plant sale and bought a Chatham Island forget-me-not, a florence fennel, and a corydalis. Next week is St Marks Church fair, looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment