Monday, March 26, 2012

Christchurch earthquake rebuild, or lack of same

Welcome to readers in Brazil (first from S. America), Slovenia, Serbia, Hong Kong and Italy. Still nothing from Canada, eh.
      To those in Finland, please accept my apologies on behalf of New Zealand for the ignorant comments made about your nation by NZ Member of Parliament Gerry Brownlee. He is a deeply stupid man who our deeply stupid Prime Minister will probably make Minister of Foreign Affairs. At present, Mr Brownlee is overseeing the rebuild of Christchurch following the earthquake. God help us.
      Yesterday I was talking to my neighbour who lives at the end of my street. He is an elderly man, in poor health, with a wife who is also frail and ailing. Their house was badly damaged during the September earthquake, (18 months ago) and has continued to deconstruct with our numerous aftershocks. He has had no help from the authorities in rebuilding or repairing his house, and is now looking at spending a second cold, miserable winter there. I have a house that has escaped major damage and only has a few cracks and cosmetic damage. I need a door fixed and two light fittings refitted. So EQC are going to redecorate my house inside and out, to cover said cracks. I don't really need them to do this, as I spent a lot of time painting the interior myself and painted a lot more carefully than they will. They are also going to pull the ceiling down in one room and reline the bathroom, none of which work I think needs to be done. Two blokes came and did an inspection and found some things, then two more blokes came and found quite different things. ?? I'm quite comfortable with just a few minor fixings, and would rather they rebuilt my neighbours house so he and his wife could have a warm winter. Where is the logic in this?

The new kitten still has no name. Nothing seems to fit. I've tried Morris and William89999999 and now bad keyboard kitten. I'm going to try Malizio, Italian for Badly Intentioned One.

No comments:

Post a Comment