Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spring things

Went and squandered $85.00 on bulbs on Friday. I can't resist bulbs, they just seem so full of promise and hope; all winter they flower in the imagination and then you see the real thing. My father-in-law once said that firewood warms you three times; once when you're cutting the tree down, again when you split the dried wood, and then when you burn it. Bulbs are a bit like that. They cheer when you buy them, they provide fun and exercise when you plant them, and the flowers in spring are lovely.
        This year I think I'll plant a lot of my bulbs in pots set into the vegetable garden, so that they can be easily removed when I plant the spring veges. I'll team them up with winter vegetables like coloured kale and leafy stuff, and plant in and around the herb plants at the front of the border. As the vegetable garden is the warmest spot in the whole section, and can be seen from the conservatory, I hope the flowers will make a lovely show in an area that can look a little sparse at springtime.
       I've bought lots of Dutch iris, nice and easy in a dryish place, and will have a go at anemones and ranunculus, which I haven't grown for years. Anemones were one of the first things I grew as a kid. They were supposed to be Iceland poppies, but mislabbelled (must get some of those too) but surprized me. I've planted them and ranunculus other years, but not with much success - they need a nice fertile damp soil to do well, so the vegetable garden should suit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment