Thursday, July 19, 2012

2001: a space odyssey

Halfway through this movie, which I first saw when I was about fourteen. I've seen it again since, and it still amazes me. How did Kubrick make all those scenes inside the spaceship, with the centrifuge and the upside-down-ness of it all? I love the acknowledgement that there's no up and down in space, its only gravity that give us this perception on earth. The space ships glide silently too, because there's no noise where there's no atmosphere to vibrate. (George Lucas chose to ignore that boring fact, in favour of exciting noises). Some things have dated a bit (the cabin crew's uniforms in the shuttle to the space station) but it still looks modern, as if Kubrick anticipated such developments as light weight fabrics for clothing, microwaved food, even the retro-fifties look of the clothes of the civilians.  I remember us all seeing the movie and reading the book at school, and the anguished and earnest teenage discussions of what it all MEANT. And it wasn't really HAL's fault, he was programmed with conflicting commands. Bit like most humans, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment