Saturday, December 8, 2012

Speed!

This morning at 6.30 I was on top of Marble Mountain in Takaka, having a pee under the 'Welcome to Ngarua Caves" sign. Now I'm back in Christchurch (dirty old town), thanks to my trusty car, my Toyota Cynos. Quite a drive, I have to say, and I am tired, but also wired which is one of those unfortunate effects of long-distance driving. I've had a great holiday at Nelson Lakes and Golden Bay, but really too far to drive all the way from Takaka to Christchurch in one day. On the way up I broke the journey at Nelson Lakes, at St Arnaud on Lake Rotoiti, in a wonderful old bach (this is what NZers call holiday homes) that dates from the late 1920's. The owners have left it much as it was in terms of decor, but there are mod cons. like a shower and an indoor toilet. I last went to St Arnaud over thirty years ago, and it was only an overnight stop, so it was good to discover this less-visited national park. It must be wonderful in the snow.

 
This is Maruia Falls, where I stopped on the way. Apparently these formed when an earthquake thrust one piece of land up and the other down. The river continued to flow over the split.


 
 
Interior of the retro bach. The kitchen still has an original deep sink with a wooden surround.

 
 
Lake Rotoiti in the afternoon sun.
 

 
One of the other older baches in the settlement.

 
The second day was not so good weather-wise, but provided this beautiful serene landscape in shades of blue and grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment