Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A little gardening



Spent a few hours in the garden this afternoon. It was nice and sunny after our cold snap, but still not really warm.


Harvested the red basil. Any day now we'll have the first frost and these leaves will blacken and be unusable. They didn't like the hail the other night, so I really needed to get the basil in. I'll freeze this in ice cubes as I don't have a blender at the moment to make pesto. I could do it the old-fashioned way with mortar and pestle, of course, but....nah. Fabulous colour.


Treated myself to a new garden pot the other day. You can't see from the picture here, but it has a sort of crackle matt glaze which makes it look quite Japanese, and I thought I could use it as a water feature under my autumnal maple, replacing the Victorian urn. It does look very nice there, and I will use it next summer and autumn but for the coming spring I've planted it with Iceland poppies and  double pale yellow "Verona" tulips. I hope the warm colours of those flowers will look good against the blue/grey of the pot. 

3 comments:

  1. Iceland poppies mixed with double tulips? Oooh. And ahhh.
    Raining here. Which is lovely, but means I won't be doing the planned weeding today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Rose is a gorgeous delicate yellow, can you remember the variety Lyn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi librarygirl, the rose is called Summer Sweet, but I think it may be a discontinued variety now as I can't find any reference to it on Google or any of my rose books. It is a floribunda and often loses many of its leaves to rust by this time of year but still produces flowers right into late autumn.

      Delete