Friday, September 25, 2015

Christchurch Botanic Gardens


I made a quick visit to the Christchurch Botanic Gardens today, quick because it wasn't very warm. Typical spring weather, fits and starts of sun and cloud. It's been cold and damp for the last week, so I thought I'd go and see the daffs this afternoon. "Going to see the daffs" is something of a tradition here in Christchurch, it means that spring is really here (no matter how cold and wet it can be).




This is one of my interpretation boards that I put together when I worked at the gardens. Glad to see it still on site, so much is changed in the city.



This is a New Zealand native plant called Kaka Beak, because the shape of the flower is like the beak of one of our native parrots, the kaka.  It's probably the most spectacular of our native flowers, which are usually small and white.




The daffodil lawns under deciduous trees



And my interp. board for the daffodil woodland is also still there. Good to see that my hard work remains in place.

2 comments:

  1. How nice to have made a mark on the Botanic Gardens in such a positive way.
    Love the daff fields and that Kaka Beak is amazing.

    ReplyDelete