Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Salad days are on their way


Retro kitchen equipment - Tala egg slicer "slices two ways!"


It was a very warm day today, so I made egg salad for lunch. and used the egg slicer. I love these sorts of devices, back in the days when very few kitchen things were electrical except for the oven and the fridge. Brings back memories of the 'sixties and makes a very neat job of the eggs. Next time I'll slice the eggs the long way! Very exciting! The packet has a truly terrible recipe on it - one lettuce leaf for each person with a lemon slice laid on top, then a couple of tomato slices and egg slices, then smother it all in mayonnaise from a bottle. Not so much a recipe as an assemblage. Also reminds me of that stuff we called Belgian sausage, a pressed meat thing that was the shape and colour of dog roll. All the kids loved it; we'd get it in sandwiches as well as salads in the summertime. I wonder if its still made in these sophisticated days?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, those processed meaty sort of things. Shudder. My parents didn't serve them, but most of my friends families did. Mind you, my parents did dish up things like liverwurst. Believe me there is nothing, but nothing a school child can swap for a liverwurst sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - Liverwurst - even the name is a hard sell!

      Delete