Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Black spot


    This is one of the "black spots" in my garden. I use this name for areas that have become overgrown and are now lacking in interest. It's an area by my driveway that used to be quite attractive but has now become boring. There is a magnolia and hydrangea on the left and a rhododendron on the right, with a quite vigorous line of elephant's ears along the edging. The soil is poor here; a previous gardener stuck bark over the soil and this has removed much of the nitrogen as it has rotted down. The area is in strong shade except for right at the height of summer.
     I've tried to open up the canopy of magnolia and rhodo to get more light to the soil. A large ivy plant has come over from next door and this needs to be removed too, (on another day!). The area is also prone to convulvulus, threading its pale roots for yards. There is a very pretty single pink rose here too, which has been drowned out by the shrubs.
     I hope to underplant the existing shrubs with some "hard doers" - japanese anemones at the back, foxgloves, forget-me-not, Ajuga and aquilegia. These are all really hardy in this garden and will grow in strong shade, and will self seed or spread from stolons. A few more choice highlights - hosta, Barnhaven primroses, maybe some hakonechloa and a low-growing Camellia "Quintessence" can also go in here if I can get the soil right; lots of compost, some blood and bone and blood meal.
     For such a small garden (under 400sqm) I manage to keep busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment