Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Garden pics



I was intending to take photos in the garden today, but my camera batteries were low so I could only take a few. I found this katydid on my "Splendour" apple. He kept moving away from me, so I had to tweak him a little with a leaf. He (or she) is very photogenic, but katydids are a bit of a nuisance in the garden as they like to eat leaves and flower petals, particularly dahlias. They are related to crickets, grasshoppers and locusts, but thankfully not as all-consuming as the latter.


They have a very discreet mating call, a quiet "Tzip-tzippit" which is (to human ears anyway) non-directional, like a cellphone ring, so they can be quite hard to find.




 

I also had an experiment with light, photographing these chrysanthemums in three different lights





                Gives quite a different idea of the flower colour, doesn't it? I think I like the first one best, with the dappled sun.

1 comment:

  1. Love the katydid. And am always amazed at how different light transforms the garden.

    ReplyDelete