Sunday, April 17, 2016

Last roses of summer



These are probably the last roses of the year. This is "Summer Sweet", a very nice floribunda with a delicate fragrance.
   I'm continuing with the bulb planting and sales-plant planting; every day I do a few more. The first apples are now ripe on the trees and there's a few grapes too. Crab-apples can stay on the tree for now. Apparently they are so sour in their natural state that the birds don't eat them. I have to pick the cranberries and dry them, and make pesto with the basil. So much to do, so little energy to do it!
        Several of my friends have now retired from work. I envy them so! If only I could be paid to stay at home! There is always something to do at home. If it weren't for the money I wouldn't work, unless it was charitable stuff or voluntary work. I keep hoping that this Basic Income idea will come to fruit, where people get paid an amount of money to keep body and soul together, irrespective of whether they work or not. Fat chance of that with the neo-liberal government we have now. 
        We're all waiting to hear our PM implicated in the Panama Papers fall-out. So far he has been lucky, nothing has been specifically revealed about him yet, but as he used to work as a money-manager/broker in London, odds are that he does have something stashed away in the Cayman Islands, far from the taxman's eye. These people really are the scum of the earth. If they paid their taxes we wouldn't have long waiting lists for surgery or be closing down schools and "outsourcing" prison management and hospital food to profit-taking companies, who don't pay taxes either. Grrrrr!

1 comment:

  1. Sigh on the money front. Particularly the support for the top end of town, which keeps the rest of us struggling.
    Love your roses - and admire your diligence. I am still looking at the work which needs doing and mourning my infirmity.

    ReplyDelete