Wednesday, April 6, 2016

More gardening




Spent five hours in the garden today! I had a couple of days off with a sore throat and general achiness, but today felt well enough to get back on track with the vegetable garden reorganisation.


I've made a bigger central bed that can be accessed from all round, and gives me better access to the fence for harvesting and tending to beans, raspberries and the grapevines. The previous arrangement was not good, I had to step over and through other things to get to the fence. So although I might have lost a bit of room with more pathway, hopefully I will make this up with better use of the available space. I've finished planting this central bed, with Wong bok cabbage, romanesco broccoli, leeks and purple cauliflower. The cauliflower is called Violet Sicilian. I don't know how this and the romanesco broccoli will do, they were the only kind left!


I've had to shape the path to avoid some rosebushes, nice roses that I don't want to take out.


Hakonechloa lights up in the afternoon sun in the shady garden


These are "Paper White" narcissi at the bottom of the pear tree. I only planted these about two weeks ago, and they are up already



Time for making pesto. Got to get the basil in before the first real frost



I also shifted the lemon tree to a warmer winter spot. Now I'm older and much weaker I have to do these kind of jobs slowly; move the pot a little, go and do something else, move it a little more, go and do something else...frustrating but better than ricking my back and being out of action entirely.

It's supposed to be raining tomorrow. Probably just as well!

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. And a tad jealous. Your work looks lovely.
    The bursitis still means that I am having too much trouble standing and walking to even contemplate gardening. There is (as always) lots to do and we have been having perfect gardening weather.
    Even without the hip issues, I hear you on the older and weaker front. I tire more easily too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Elephant's Child, but it's great that there is still good weather to enjoy. I really enjoyed your pics of the balloon festival. Try to see the movie "Up". I'm sure you'd enjoy it, it's one of my favourites.

      Delete