Friday, May 6, 2016

New Zealand cranberry



I spent about an hour this afternoon picking my cranberries. These are not the cranberries that Northern Hemisphere readers will know, but rather a little bush that has the botanical name of Myrtus ugni. It is also known as Ugni molinae, Chilean guava, and confusingly, as New Zealand cranberry, although it has no relationship at all with the Northern Hemisphere cranberry. It does have a similar appearance and can be used in much the same ways; in jams and sauces and conserves, and can be dried in a dehydrator quite successfully. It is a small attractive bush, about 1 metre maximum, that I trim back after fruiting to keep compact and non-twiggy. It is very easy to grow once established and doesn't need much water. Mine grows on an average silty soil and is not fertilised, but manages to produce more than enough for me every year. The little fruits are like currants, with a pleasant fresh taste and sweet smell. I've never made jam with them, but usually dry them and put them in muesli. 


The only thing I find annoying about it is that the bush tends to sucker, which is OK if you want to propagate it to give to friends, but can look untidy poking up through other plants. Mine grows in a flower border with dry-loving plants like iris and lavender.


Lots of big, fat sweet berries this year! I've never noticed birds eating them, but perhaps this is because they are right near the ground and by my main pathway. I'm growing one as a standard and I've heard that they can also be used as an informal hedge. Apparently, these fruit made Queen Victoria's favourite jam. 

Still having great weather here for our autumn. Expecting it to turn nasty any day soon!

2 comments:

  1. They do look good - and are not a plant or fruit I know.
    We had our first (tiny) frost last week, but the days have been sunny and lovely. I would swap the wind (and the sunshine) for rain in a heartbeat though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I hope you are feeling better, good to hear from you. We are really needing rain too, but the weather is so good at the moment, it's a bonus. Usually it is pretty cold by now; when it finally "goes" it will be a shock!

    ReplyDelete