Saturday, September 8, 2012

Punctuality rant

We were holding a workshop today. Everyone had been emailed with the start time (1.00pm) and where to meet. OK. All will go swimmingly. Except I get a phone call about 25 past 1 from a woman phoning from the other information office saying she had been to the rendezvous and there was no-one there. Sigh. What time were you there? I ask. Oh, I was just a little late, and now I'm missing the first part of the workshop. Just a little late. Lady, you are twenty-five minutes late, they thought you weren't coming and have moved off. If you are missing the first part of the workshop, you only have yourself to blame. You are not so important that other people will wait for you. I hate to burst your bubble, but it's true. YOU ARE NOT SO IMPORTANT THAT OTHER PEOPLE WILL WAIT FOR YOU.
  New Zealanders are particularly bad at showing up on time. I can't count how many films I have been to where the first ten minutes have been marred by shuffling, dark figures etched against the screen, accompanied by whispered "'Excuse me... sorry... excuse me.... sorry, sorry...excuse me". No, we do not excuse you and saying sorry is not good enough. Even worse when said dark figures have large boxes of popcorn with them. You could get here in time if you hadn't been thinking of stuffing yourself full of noxious foodstuffs. If you had time to buy popcorn, you had time to be here, seated, with the rest of us. We've got this annoying "she'll be right" attitude, that says that little things don't matter and why should we worry about them. This was probably OK back in pioneer days, when life was about roughing out the outline of something new, but we suffer in the modern world, which is all about details and scheduling.
   We're not the only ones though. I once watched one of those "Lousiest airline in the world" type programmes on TV, and saw a Very Important Businessman ( a complete nobody) get very annoyed because he was 20 minutes late and the airline had not kept his plane waiting for him! The cheek of it! They had the gall to think that the other 200 passengers were as important as him. How do people get to be so deluded, as to think that the whole schedule of an international travel carrier, and the plans of hundreds if not thousands of other people would be changed for them, for ONE person?      What sort of upbringing, what sort of pandering to do they receive in life to think this way? I just don't understand some people. Well, quite a lot of people, really. It's enough to make me think I've got some form of Aspergers. Am I missing something here?

No comments:

Post a Comment