Thursday, September 20, 2012

Supermarket reopens!

My local supermarket reopened yesterday, after being closed for two years because of earthquake damage after February 22, 2011. It's bigger and oh so flash, very upmarket which is sort of nice, but it feels too good for me. I felt underdressed for the occasion, as if I've to dress up to even be allowed in. I went in the evening and all the lights were on in this super-modern super-market. Coming into the car park I felt like Han Solo docking the Millenium Falcon on the Death Star; I bet if supermarkets could employ tractor beams they would. 
     It's very spacious and new and things are displayed nicely, but it's definitely aimed at the more well-heeled shopper, with lots of wine and deli food and a lot of prepared or pre-cooked foods, but a bit low on the basic stuff. They didn't have my cats' favourite food and the bakery goods looked a little overdone, although, granted, it was the end of the day, not the best time for buying bakery items. I  missed the cheap vegetable plants and the flower section - I don't know if these aren't there or I just didn't see them, the place is so huge. I'll be interested to see if prices go up after the initial opening frenzy, and I'll still be going to the organic market on Sundays to get good vegetables.
     The cars on either side of me looked swanky too; an Audi on one side and a late model VW on the other. Perhaps Opawa is morphing into Merivale, who knows? Could be good, could be bad, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment