Sunday, September 2, 2012

Spirited away

Im having an easy, lazy day today. All the moving and cleaning has given me a backache and I woke up feeling sore and achy and washed out, sure signs that I'm overdoing things. So I had breakfast and went back to bed.  Someone rang my doorbell (no this is not an euphemism) about 9.20, so if it was you, sorry I didn't answer. It's great that my doorbell goes again, should stop people from hammering on the glass door.
  Started watching 'Spirited away' the other night, but it was too scary! This is one of the Studio Ghibli movies that I haven't seen, and I really like them. 'Ponyo' is probably my favourite, I love the part where she's running on the waves that become giant fish, but 'Princess Mononoke' is also great. (If I took up cosplay I'd be Princess Mononoke, although my figure is more like Ponyo's). But back to the scariness of Spirited away, the Japanese do a great line in spirits and ghosts and creepy things. I guess they're scarier to me because they are not culturally familiar - vampires, yawn, ghosts, yawn, zombies, yawn.
  A Japanese story I read many years ago has always stayed with me as the epitome of horror. A young prince, riding across the rice fields in a secluded valley, comes upon a beautiful peasant girl, and instantly falls in love. Unspeaking, she beckons him up into the nearby forested hills. He follows, entrapped, enraptured, hoping no doubt that she has plans to consummate their attachment. After much time she stops at the site of an old rundown hut; no one has lived there for many years. He follows her to the door of the hut, she pauses at the threshold, and turns to him, passing her hand over her beautiful face, which then becomes as smooth and white and featureless as the surface of an egg. The prince recoils in horror; he has followed a demoness to her lair! She disappears, and the forest echoes with hideous mocking laughter.
  I don't know what becomes of the prince after that. I guess it would put him off beautiful peasant girls for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment