Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Another good idea

 
Been thinking of how to use a lot of waste wood/dry trimmings, and thought of making a trellis with them. The Council no longer allows garden bonfires, and I don't want to pay to have them dumped. I've got a big pile of old dry elderberry sticks (cut off from the neighbour's constantly growing bush which pollards itself into my garden, very useful for stakes) and assorted wood bits. This is the result, and will be put up at the back of the garage for sweet peas. I lashed the twigs together with some of the twine that came with the peastraw bales, it's a pretty pale apricot. I might put a dot of superglue on the lashings to stop them unlashing, as my knot-tying is very amateurish. The good thing is that it doesn't have to last for ever, just this season, so heavy structural fixings aren't necessary, nor does it need any measuring or exactness - simple rusticity is the look I'm going for. As always, I've left the sweet peas a bit late to plant out; they've all tangled together in their planter, so here's hoping they still thrive.

1 comment: