Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hello 2014

Well, its been and gone and done it - become a new year. It was quite noisy this year. Other years have been quiet, everyone has gone on holiday, but I think with all the young bloods here for the rebuild it was more raucous. Lots of fireworks and idiotic behaviour. I stayed at home (I always do) with a glass of wine and Hugh Dancy as Daniel Deronda. I haven't seen this BBC series although it was made several years ago, nor have I ever read the book. We were given 'Middlemarch' to read when I was at 'uni, and I didn't like it much; I wanted to shoot Mr Casaubon from a cannon, and slap Rosamond a good tight slap or three. I did enjoy Deronda. Most particularly did I enjoy Gwendolen's clothes, a beautiful emerald green balldress the most impressive of these. I'm still not sure if I like Romola Garai as an actress; I don't find her wholly convincing, somehow. There's something very theatrical (in the worst sense) about her performances, but perhaps this is just the sort of casting that she gets - self-absorbed spoilt brats like Gwendolen and Emma Woodhouse. She is beautiful, and I think this gets in her way.
   Planted some onions and more lettuces (no, not Iceberg strangely enough) and grazed my way around as I watered up this evening. Three strawberries, a logan berry and three apricots, as well as gathering a grapefruit which I'll have for breakfast tomorrow. We have a lot of mosquitoes this year, and standing in the evening garden watering is a gift for them. The other night I was wearing a skirt, and managed to get bitten on a very tender part of my most secret anatomy. Blast and damn them! 

1 comment:

  1. A scary thought. I can remember being told that what you are doing when the New Year comes in forms a pattern for the rest of the year. No wonder there is such a lot of stupidity about.
    Hiss and spit on the mosquito front.

    ReplyDelete