Friday, January 17, 2014

Plum sauce


Finished and bottled the plum sauce this morning. I had to go and buy a stick blender because my old one broke and was thrown out ages ago. The sauce needs to sit for a couple of weeks, so that the flavours 'marry'. I like this one, it has no onion in it, so no tedious tearful onion chopping. It's more of a sweet and sour sauce than a savoury one. In the spirit of wartime, (see next paragraph) I've reused my olive oil and mayonnaisse bottles; no pretty little "mob-caps" of gingham here, I'm afraid. More plums wait in the fridge. I just have to decide whether to make them into jam (will it set?)or just cook and freeze them (easier and less nerve-wracking).
Reading two books about the Second World War at the moment. Just finished "La's orchestra saves the world" by Alexander McCall Smith, a 'nice' easy read, a bit predictable and just a little preachy) and a more weighty non-fiction tome, "A green and pleasant land; how England's gardeners fought the Second World War" by Ursula Buchan. Great pictures, the best is a poor, dismayed child confronted with a carrot rather than a longed-for icecream.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the plum sauce front. I would probably simply cook the remainder - but I am not a big jam eater which tips the scales.
    Chuckling at the image of the child confronted with carrot rather than ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete