Sunday, May 23, 2010

The computer says no.

Had to give up on my Friday session, as I don't know how to cut and paste the URL into a browser. I have identified this as one of the main trends of my ignorance of computers - I often do not know how to do very simple things that it is assumed by tutorials that I know. as I don't use a computer at home, some of the really basic stuff is unknown to me. It's like being expected to climb Mount Everest when I still don't know how to put one foot in front of the other. Hopefully, I can get some help during the week. My tutor is away today but I hope she will be here on Wednesday when I get my two hours off desk to do my essential tasks.

The blogging is going fine though, partly because I love writing anyway, partly because the blogger site is really easy to use. The whole blogging phenomenon has given everyone permission to put themselves out in public. It is quite egocentric, really; we all feel we have something unique to say that others will want to read. How misguided we are.

Books are now published not because of sending a manuscript to a publisher, but because they have been initiated as a successful blog. "Julie and Julia" is one, another is a book I am reading at the moment "Living Oprah" about a woman who tries to live according to the dictates of Oprah Winfrey. (Perhaps a thousand years from now there will be a Gospel according to St Oprah. It will be on the virtual bookshelf with the Gospel of St Elvis Presley, and the writings of the United Church of The Lady of Gaga.)

No comments:

Post a Comment