Thursday, May 27, 2010

The light dawns (partially)

I find it really valuable to have a tutor available for these sessions. It's so easy for me to get lost in cyberia. Today Alice talked me through the podcast bit of the RSS/podcasts module which I was having trouble with. The thing is to read through the screen - usually what you need is there on some tab or clicky-point. Added a podcast for Harry Potter fans (not that I am one, just used it as an example) and guess what? advertisements on the podcast. I guess it was inevitable that this would happen, it's like the aural version of those irritating flashing adverts telling you that yes! you have won a prize! So - lesson 1 - take time to read the screen.
I feel I am learning things, but worry that The Knowledge will not stay with me.
Interesting group discussion about social networking, that anyone can say what they like about you on their own website. This is a little worrying, thinking about people who hate me that could add untruths and half-truths to the story of my life. It's like the social control function of village gossip, but now the village is the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment