Sunday, August 5, 2012

I'm so tired

I've gardened myself literally to a standstill, so I've given me an afternoon off,  just loafing around. Busy morning doing new plantings in the old cabbage tree patch - anemone japonica, ajuga, hosta, snowdrops and some iris stylosa that had been sitting in the compost heap since summer, backed by Camellia 'Nuccio's Gem' (a bargain at Oderings sale) and a Daphne bholua. I feel a bit guilty about the daphne, because it might be too wet and cold for it there, but obeying the god of gardening foolishness, (there must be one) I put in there just the same. Great satisfaction gained by hacking into the wiry roots of the cabbage trees. (The Daphne odora in my front garden is coming out in bloom; such a wonderful fragrance, it seems to get more intense every year).


Moved my pot of Narcissus 'Quail' to a spot under the pear tree where I can see it from the conservatory. It was by the front door before, nice for visitors, but I was missing out because I couldn't see it. It looks much better by the pear tree,  with the grey rough bark of the tree, the fresh green circle of violets, and a little bit of a breeze to make the flowers dance. The pansies give a nice lift to the bottom of the narcissus stems too.


After commandeering my kneeling pads, Thomas enjoyed the spring sunshine. He's becoming a handsome cat now, although his overwhelming greediness may make him a tubby tabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment