Friday, August 10, 2012

The EQC approacheth

Feeling depressed tonight. I received a phone call on Tuesday night from the guy who's repairing my house for the claim I made to the insurance company after the earthquake. (Two years ago!) They ( probably a team of blokes in large boots) will be starting work here on the 21st August. While this is good, there are a number of things that depress me about it.
1) The inevitable disruption. I don't enjoy having people in to do stuff in the house. I will feel like a guest in my own home. They will use my toilet. I will have to stay away from the place during the days I'm not at work. The cats will have to be boarded out. I will have to see my house partly ripped apart. It's like having to have an operation; you hope the end result is worth the horror of the process, and just wish it would be over.
2) I feel that much of what is to be done is unnecessary. 'They' are going to redecorate and repair things that don't need to be redecorated or repaired. My house is 74 years old; it does not have perfect wall finishes nor should anyone expect it to have perfect wall finishes. I am quite happy with it as it is. I have redecorated it myself, carefully and conscientiously over the years. I am quite fussy about the paint job and hope that some slob with an oversize brush and a sloppy hand will not be let loose in my rooms. All I really need are cracks filled in the exterior stucco and foundation, some light fittings replaced and a couple of doors eased. That's all. So 'they' are pulling down ceilings, regrouting tiles, relining walls, etc. etc. I love my house but  it's all way too much. A waste of money and resources.
3) There are many people in this city who need far more done to their houses than I do, people living with leaky roofs, cracked floors, broken windows, warped walls. Many of these people are elderly or sick or have young children, but our government is leaving these homes to be repaired last. None of us 'ordinary people' understand why, and explanations have not been forthcoming.
     The whole of post-earthquake Christchurch life seems like such a bloody mess; corruption, political opportunism, spin and bullshit and endless road works and building closures and demolitions. It's all too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment